Monday 7 September 2020

Book: What Can I Do? by Jane Fonda: ‘If Greta Thunberg can do it, so can I’ (excerpt): The Guardian

the actor recalls the beginnings of her climate crisis protests outside the White House
Jane Fonda, actor and climate activist
"There was a long silence, and then she said, “Well, Jane, that’s wonderful and I’m blown away that you’re ready to put yourself out there like that, but you can’t camp overnight in Washington. It’s illegal since Occupy Wall Street camped there. But let’s figure out what is possible.” She offered to set up a conference call with her, Bill McKibben, co-founder of 350.org, Naomi Klein, the environmental lawyer Jay Halfon, and me. Bill suggested a once-a-week protest that involved civil disobedience. Fridays had been claimed by Greta Thunberg and the student climate strikers, but the youth had also called on adults to join them. “Maybe you could do an action on Fridays as well.”

I’d been getting ready for this my whole adult life – a weekly
An extract from Jane Fonda's book
Jane Fonda climate activist
action that culminated in nonviolent civil disobedience. And I wouldn’t have to worry about pooping. I began planning for the maximum time I could spend in DC before I had to get ready to film our last season of Grace And Frankie on 27 January 2020. It added up to four months, 14 Fridays."


What Can I Do? by Jane Fonda is published by HQ, at £20. To order a copy for £17.40, go to guardianbookshop.com. Delivery charges may apply.
 

Go to The Guardian's article 

Related: 'The Future We Choose', Book by Christiana Figueres & Tom Rivett-Carnac

No comments:

Post a Comment